Cape Town: Decomposed Body Found on Table Mountain

Police in Cape Town, South Africa, confirmed that they found a decomposed body on the slopes of Table Mountain.

According to officials, Table Mountain park rangers found the remains of a woman’s body near Platteklip Gorge on the right-hand side of the mountain, a few metres away from the lower cableway station.

The remains were found on Tuesday morning. Park rangers have told the media that the forensic teams are still busy on the scene, and that Tafelberg road has been cordoned off from the public.

Frederick van Wyk, of the Cape Town Police, said that further tests will be done on the remains to determine the cause of death.

“We can confirm that a decomposed body of a female was discovered this morning on Table Mountain by detectives of our provincial detective team and park rangers. A post-mortem will be conducted to determine the cause of death,” he told reporters.

Many believe that the remains found on the mountain are those of Charlotte Nikoi, Unicef associate director for human resources from Ghana who disappeared on the mountain in late March, after hiking the Platteklip Gorge trail with her husband and daughter.

According to Nikoi’s husband, Chris Nikoi, the couple and their daughter were hiking the trail on 21 March when Charlotte became out of breath and said that she was rather going to turn around and head back down the mountain.

She reportedly said that she would meet her husband at the foot of the trail.

However, when Chris returned from the hike Charlotte was nowhere to be found. He immediately alerted the police and Table Mountain park officials who started an extensive search for the woman, to no avail.

It is not yet confirmed whether the body found on the mountain is that of Charlotte’s, but it is believed that police and park rangers will make announcement about the case soon.

Freed Chibok Girls Begin Special Rehabilitation Programme

The Nigerian government has announced that the 82 Chibok girls that were released earlier in the month will start a special rehabilitation programme this week.

Aisha Alhassan, Nigeria’s Minister of Women’s Affairs and Social Development, said that the girls will join a group of other girls, who have also been freed, in the rehabilitation programme.

The rehabilitation programme, which has been specially designed to meet the needs of the freed girls and to help them process the trauma of being held captive for years, will take place in Nigeria’s capital of Abuja.

Some people have voiced their concern about the girls staying in Abuja and not returning to their families and home town. Alhassan has assured that all the girls attending the rehabilitation programme are there out of their own free will and with the consent of their parents.

Alhassan said that the girls will attend “months of remedial studies” and that there will be various doctors, nurses and psychiatrists on hand in the programme to help the girls.

The government also announced that once the rehabilitation programme is completed, the girls will not return to their schools in Chibok, but will be placed in other schools in September.

Mahrez Wants To Leave Leicester

Leicester City’s star striker, Riyad Mahrez, has announced that he wants to leave the English club and pursue other opportunities.

In a statement released by Mahrez on Tuesday, the Algerian international says that he is ready to move on, and has asked the club to let him go during the current transfer window.

“Out of the huge admiration and respect I hold for Leicester City Football Club I wanted to be totally honest and transparent with them and have therefore informed the club that I feel now is the time for me to move on,” he said.

He continued, saying that he had promised the club he would stay on for another season after their EPL win in the 2015/2016 season and that he has kept his end of the bargain.

“I had a good discussion with the chairman last summer and we agreed at that time that I would stay for another year in order to help the club as best as I could following the transition of winning the title and in the Champions League…However, I am fiercely ambitious and feel that now is the time to move on to a new experience,” he concluded.

Mahrez was instrumental in the Foxes’ fairytale-like Premier League win last season, having scored 17 goals for the club during their campaign.

He was also awarded the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Player of the Year last season.

There has been no official word as to where Mahrez will transfer to, but rumours have suggested that big English clubs such as Arsenal and Chelsea have shown interest in pursuing Mahrez.

Manchester United Rated Most Valuable Club in Europe

English football club, Manchester United, has been ranked as the most valuable football club in Europe according to their enterprise value.

A report by Netherlands based auditing firm, KPMG, has placed United at the top of the list, referencing their revenue generated for the past two seasons, as well as their overall success.

KPMG assessed the finances of 39 European clubs to determine which club would be the most valuable should the club be put up for sale.

They assessed the clubs’ social media presence and factored in other marketing measures that would contribute to the overall value of each club.

KPMG also factored in the clubs’ debt and used their own formula to determine what the enterprise value would be, sans debt.

Despite finishing 6th in the English Premier League both this season and last, United did enjoy more success season after winning both the Europa League and the Football League Cup.

This contributed to the enterprise value of the club.

Manchester United’s enterprise value has been estimated at US$3.4 billion this year – way more than Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid who were ranked in second and third place respectively.

They have also become the first club to break the US$3.4 billion mark.

German club, Bayern Munich, was ranked fourth, while Arsenal and rivals, Manchester City, were jointly ranked in fifth.

Prince William Opens Up About Princess Diana’s Death

Prince William has opened in detail up about his mother, Princess Diana, for the first time since her death 20 years ago.

The 20th anniversary of the beloved princess’ death is in August of this year, and her eldest son has now broken his silence over what she meant to him and how he processed the trauma of her death.

In an interview in the July issue of the British GQ magazine, the Duke of Cambridge says that it has taken him a long time to be able to open up about his mother’s death.

“I am in a better place about it than I have been for a long time, where I can talk about her more openly, talk about her more honestly, and I can remember her better, and publicly talk about her better…it has taken me almost twenty years to get to that stage. I still find it difficult now because at the time it was so raw,” the 34-year-old Prince said.

William was only 14 when his mother died in a car accident in Paris, and has never really spoken publicly about her death.

He also said that he wishes that his mother could have met his wife, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, whom he wed in 2011, and their two young children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte.

“I would like to have had her advice. I would love her to have met Catherine and to have seen the children grow up. It makes me sad that she won’t, that they will never know her,” he said.

Furthermore, William said that his family is of the utmost importance to him, and that he strives to raise his children in a stable, normal and happy household.

No wonder he is everyone’s favourite royal!

Ariana Grande Announces Manchester Benefit Show

Ariana Grande has announced that she will be doing a benefit show in Manchester on 4 June. This will be in aid of the victims of the terrorist attack that took place at her concert at the Manchester Arena on 22 May.

The benefit concert will feature performances by the likes of Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, Usher, Coldplay and Take That.

The concert, dubbed the ‘One Love Manchester’ concert, will take place at the Emirates Old Trafford Cricket Ground in the heart of Manchester.

All proceeds made from the show will be donated to the We Love Manchester emergency fund, which was set up in the wake of the horrific attack that left 22 people dead and over 50 injured.

In an open letter posted to her various social media platforms, Ariana said that doing the concert was her way of giving the victims and their families the support they so desperately need.

“My heart, prayers and condolences are with the victims of the Manchester Attack and their loved ones…There is nothing I or anyone can do to take away the pain you are feeling or to make this better. However, I extend my hand and heart and everything I possibly can give to you and yours, should you want or need my help in any way [sic],” the 23-year-old said.

She continued, calling for unity and saying that attacks like these should not make people live in fear.

“We will not quit or operate in fear. We won’t let this divide us. We won’t let hate win…Our response to this violence must be to come closer together, to help each other, to love more, to sing louder and to live more kindly and generously than we did before. Music is meant to heal us, to bring us together, to make us happy. So that is what it will continue to do for us [sic],” she said.

Tickets for the concert will go on sale on 1 June. Grande also announced that fans who attended her show at the Manchester Arena on 22 May, will be able to register online for free tickets to the benefit concert.

The concert will reportedly be streamed live on a digital platform, as well as on BBC television and BBC radio in the UK.

Bangladesh: Thousands Evacuated As Cyclone Mora Hits

Authorities in Bangladesh have said that they are in the process of evacuating thousands of people from coastal towns, after Cyclone Mora hit the country in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The Bangladesh Meteorological Department said that Cyclone Mora made landfall early on Tuesday morning, between the main port city of Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar in the south east of the country.

Bangladesh raised the weather danger level to 10 (the highest level) after the cyclone hit.

The Meteorological Department said that the cyclone caused winds of up to 117 km/h and that there had been a warning issued for a 1.7 metre-high storm surge on several coastal towns in the south east of the country.

A spokesperson for the government, Golam Mostofa, said that around 300 000 people are being evacuated.

“They have been evacuated to at least 400 cyclone shelters, schools and government offices in the coastal areas,” he told reporters.

He also confirmed that they have not received any reports of casualties thus far.

Bangladesh is often hit by bad storms, including cyclones and monsoons.

Last year, the south coast of the country was hit by Cyclone Roanu in May, which caused extreme damage to several villages on the coast and forced more than 500 000 people to flee their homes.

Cyclone Roanu left 20 people dead.

Egypt In Talks With Russia Over Terrorism

Egypt’s presidency has said that President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has been in talks with Russia regarding the fight against terrorism.

The talks with Russia come days after yet another jihadist attack on Egypt’s Christian minority over the weekend.

Masked men, believed to be part of the Islamic State, attacked a bus carrying Coptic Christians to a church in Cairo on Friday, killing 29 people – including children – and injuring several others.

A statement released by the office of the President said that el-Sisi had been in talks with Russia’s Minister of Defense, Sergei Shoigu and Russia’s Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov.

The Egyptian presidency said that the talks centered around ways to battle terrorism in the country as well as how to employ bilateral cooperations between Egypt and Russia.

“[Egypt and Russia] agreed on the importance of uniting international efforts in the battle against terrorism [sic],” a part of the statement released by the Egyptian presidency read.

Besides the recent attack in Egypt, President el-Sisi and the Russian ministers also discussed the ongoing conflict in Syria, spurred on by the Islamic State and the situation in Libya, which has become a breeding ground for jihadi training camps.

Libya, Egypt’s neighbouring country, has been thrown into complete disarray since the 2011 uprising that toppled former dictator, Muammar Gaddafi. Since then a power struggle has erupted in the country between rival administrations and various militia.

In response to Friday’s attack in Egypt, the Egyptian military launched airstrikes against several training camps in Libya.

Mata: United Ready To Tackle 2017/2018 Season

Spanish international and Manchester United midfielder, Juan Mata, has said that he and the rest of the United squad have high hopes for next season.

Mata, who maintains a successful personal blog detailing his soccer career, wrote that Manchester United are determined to have an exceptional season next season.

“We have high hopes for the next season, but now it’s time to take a break, switch off from football and rest until the start of the pre-season training sessions,” he wrote.

Manchester United had a relatively successful season, despite placing sixth in the English Premier League.

The Red Devils managed to secure two trophies this season under leadership of Jose Mourinho.

United won the Football League Cup in February this year, by beating English club Southampton 3-2 in the final. They also became the champions of the Europa League last week, when they beat Dutch club, Ajax, 2-0.

While their win in the Europa League final earned them a spot in the coveted Champions League, it did come at a very emotional time. Only two days before the final, the Manchester Arena suffered a tragic terrorist suicide bombing.

Mata reiterated many of his teammates words on the matter:“I’ll never forget the reactions that we’ve seen all these days, everywhere in the city… and the ability of football to bring people together, to help, to contribute, beyond rivalries and tension,” he wrote.

Ernesto Valverde Named As New Barcelona Manager

Spaniard Ernesto Valverde was named the new Barcelona manager on Monday, replacing outgoing manager Luis Enrique.

Valverde has signed a two-year contract with the club, with an option of an additional third year. The club said that Valverde will be officially ushered in as the new manager on Thursday.

Valverde is a former Barcelona player himself and was the manager of another Spanish club, Athletic Bilbao, for the past four years.

In addition to his four years at Bilboa, Valverde also had successful stints at Villarreal, Valencia, and Greek club, Olympiacos, where he managed to win the Greek title three times.

Barcelona club president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, said at a recent press conference that he is confident in Valverde’s ability to lead the Spanish giants.

“Valverde has the ability, the judgement, the knowledge and the experience. He promotes the youth players and he has a Barca way [sic],” he said.

Valverde will inherit a Barcelona team riddled with international superstars, including the likes of Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez.

Barcelona just won their ninth Copa del Rey title on Saturday.

Reporters asked outgoing manager, Luis Enrique, what his advice to Valverde would be , to which he responded: “He has more experience than me. He should enjoy it.”.